Alma Maters (Sweet Mothers)
Barnard Alma Maters (Sweet Mothers), a committee of the Alumnae Association, plan events and activities focused on the challenges and joys of balancing motherhood, work, and other aspects of women's lives. Our exploration of motherhood in the lives of educated women brings Barnard alumnae together to share their collective experience and enjoy the rich offerings of New York and the Barnard Alumnae community. Connect with Alma Maters online by joining the Alumnae Network's Alma Maters group.
Events have included:
Facilitator-led luncheon discussion groups
- Panel presentations on issues of parenting
- Cultural programs for moms
- Family events
- Discussed nurturing children and addressing our parental anxiety with Kathy Seal ’69, author of “Pressured Parents, Stressed-Out Kids”.
- Toured Van Gogh at MOMA and the Greek and Roman Galleries at the Met.
- Enjoyed the Nutcracker at Lincoln Center and Shrek on Broadway with our families.
- Discussion luncheon with a Barnard faculty member
- Holiday show at the New Victory theatre
- Backstage tour of a major performing arts facility
- “What Every Smart Parent Needs to Know” workshop in conjunction with Barnard Financial Fluency.